Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bugs

Dealing with bugs is inevitable when one is at camp. However, today was the day of the bugs here at Hume. It's like they all got together at a bugs meeting...I'm picturing something like a UN type meeting where there are delegates from every type of bug, which is a little scary due to the sheer number, but that's what happening in my mind currently.

Anyway we had literally millions of ladybugs here today. People were freaking out because they thought they were swarms of bees, which was pretty comic to watch. I was driving by a lawn, and when I looked across, the space above the grass had a red tint. I was in a golf cart without a windshield so I had to shield my face so that I would not be hit. One managed to nail me right between the eyes anyway.

There were a healthy number of wasps that wanted to hang out in the security booth with us both yesterday and today. Those were slightly more scary than the harmless lady and man bugs. Also, when I was on my run around the lake, I ran into a huge spider web which triggered a ridiculous looking jig in which my arms flailed and I twisted and turned in random ways that I was sure would do the trick to untangle me from the web. In addition, I'm pretty sure I ate two small insects during my run. As I breathed out through my mouth, as one should while running, two made it in somehow. It was not simultaneously, but rather two separate times, which actually impressed me. I should have been grossed out, I suppose, but I found it funny.

Bugs at camp has never been so interesting, although I'm sure the bug/camp experience has potential to be much more interesting. I'm just thankful I'm not finding huge spiders in my bed and such. Yuck.

1 comment:

  1. Ridiculous looking Jigs triggered by spider web encounters would make for a hilarious video. Those kinds of moves could never be created through normal choreography. It might also be entertaining to have the audio along with the video but may need some screening, of the four letter shrieks, for families with little ears.

    ReplyDelete